Monday, June 7, 2010

Period still life


I love nothing more then decorating with period Antebellum Antiques. I set up this display a few months ago after I bought the beautiful early 19th century American flint cut glass pedestal bowl at a antique mall in Fairhope AL, I like going antique shopping with other like minded Antique enthuses like my dear friends David & Simona. They own a 1859 center hall Greek Revival cottage here in Mobile, Alabama. We like to play a game when we go to Antiques shops to see who can find the best antebellum item for a good price. I won that day as this rare American piece of glass was 75% off I don't remember the price but when I paid for it, it was a little over 10 dollars with tax. The deal of the day! The background for this setting is a Baltimore 1820's Federal Plantation desk made out of flamed Cuban Mahogany. Next to the glass bowl is a 1850's Old Paris porcelain flared vase with red clover I found in a field. Just visible next to the vase is a hand carved French Napoleon lll 1850's gold leaf drapery rod end.

2 comments:

  1. Andrew, I go to the mall there when I visit my sister but I've never found a deal like that. Your displays are as creative as your paintings! Marshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marshel the funny thing about the Antique Mall is I had been there 3 or so times with my friends and before I moved to Mobile my friend went every week or so but we all missed this bowl! I know it had been there a long time because the sticker had to be socked before it would come off plus the big discount. I also bought the 4 gilt drapery rod ends in Fairhope.

    ReplyDelete