Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Today's purchases

A mid 19th century 1860's rare gold gilt Bohemian Emerald glass chalice with miniature portraits of Queen Victoria's children, placed on my home alter



Last weekend was fabulous at the monthly estate sale I attend each month. The sale featured good quality 19th century glass that I latter found out was deassession from The New Orleans Museum of Art.  Last week was my birthday so I celebrated all week. With all of the merriment going on I did not get up in time to be at the 8am opening of the sale. This was the first time I was late on the first day as I did not make it there until after 3pm. I was skeptical about anything thing cheep and good being left at that late hour. I was quickly surprised when my roommate presented me with a mid 19th century 1860's rare gold gilt portrait Bohemian Emerald glass chalice he had found on the fifteen dollar table. As I walked up to it I thought I had won the lottery. As  I looked over it one of the workers came up to us to let us know the two beautifully painted portrait miniature on the piece were two of Queen Victoria's children.  Then the owner of the estate sale came up to also inform us that a pair of the same chalice shaped object de art had sold at Sotheby's New York for $6,500. This one was only worth about $15. as it was broken on the cup and repaired but the damage was not noticeable unless looking down into the piece. Bohemian Emerald glass is very rare as red was the most popular color. I have a bigger chalice shape vase and a trumpet shape vase in this color.


A mid 19th century 1860's rare gold gilt Bohemian Emerald glass chalice with miniature portraits of Queen Victoria's children, placed on my home alter




This miniature portrait of Queen Victoria's daughter is after a painting after Winterhalter

 A set of 15 early American pressed Flint glass wine glasses in the Huber pattern 1860's


I was happy to see a set of 15 early American pressed Flint glass wine glasses in the Huber pattern for $3 each. retail they are worth $40-$75 each. This pattern was one of the early elegantly plain patterns. I chose it as my pattern because it is plane and elegant and sets off the mostly ornate silver and porcelain of the same period. When I decided to make this my pattern I was picking up wine glasses for $1 each at goodwill stores but only collect 3 up to this time now I have 18 wine glasses. This pattern was first introduced in 1859 and was very popular thru out the 1860's, It was originally made in flint, & later in non-flint, after 1870.


Flint glass refers to glass made with powdered flint & later lead, produced in the United States & the United Kingdom from the 1820s through the 1860s. The term, "flint glass", was given to better glassware, perfected in England, because powdered flint was added to the glass formula to improve clarity.

At a later date, a lead compound was added and it was found that it gave the glass much more clarity, resonance, and weight. Soon after, the powdered flint was dropped from the glass mixture, but the name was entrenched in vernacular. Flint glass was the fine glassware of the times and the name & the process were both spread to America in the 1840s.

Prior to the early 1800s, glassware was made by an intensive & expensive hand blown method. However in the 1820s a new invention led to pressing glass in molds.
 

15 early American pressed Flint glass wine glasses in the Huber pattern 1860's

1830's-1850's French Baccarat crystal glass with upside down tear drop bubble stem made poplar by Baccarat during the early Victorian period. This lovely glass was on the dollar table



1830's-1850's French Baccarat crystal glass with upside down tear drop bubble stem made poplar by Baccarat during the early Victorian period. This lovely glass was on the dollar table

I thought this fabulous  gold and white platter was early 19th century period Empire Old Paris porcelain. Until I turned it over and saw the Pittoria, Richard Ginori, ITALY mark. Decorated in the Neoclassical style with gold gilt Palmetto motif and scroll border it was a steal for five bucks. My only regret is a matching larger round platter was on the ten dollar table but I was too cheep to get it and did not return on 60% off day Sunday to see if it was still available.


I love the Neoclassical style with gold gilt Palmetto motif and scroll border. The gold is worn just like 19th century Paris Porcelain


I just love this late 18th century early 19th century English tea cup gilded with intricate natural pattens was $3



I just love this late 18th century early 19th century English tea cup gilded with intricate natural pattens was $3


10 comments:

  1. Fabulous purchases... wish I could find steals like this in Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First...HAPPY BIRTDAY! I am so glad you were born! Many happy returns of the day!
    The chalice is so beautiful and it looks lovely on your altar! You have an exquisite eye for all things beautiful, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, you find the bestest things at that estate sale,I wish I was there to statch them before you. I have several pieces of cranberry glass with Victoria'a children portaits on therm. I love them. as uaual thanks for sharing and be sure and drop by my blog this week for a free give away. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, you certainly scored some fab Treasures for it, no wonder you celebrated all week! *Winks* Mine is coming up this Month and I have several Grand Openings of new Shops owned by Friends to attend so perhaps I'll score some Birthday Treasures of my own!!!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well :)

    The miniature portrait of Queen Victoria's daughter might be "after" a painting done by Winterhalter, but it seems very sensitively handled. Even if 1860s gold gilt Bohemian Emerald glass chalice had a tiny flaw or two, imagine the pleasure you will get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks JWC over the years I have bought very nice Antebellum things from Charleston dealers at Antique shows at good prices. Thanks for the birthday wishes Divine Theatre I'm also glad was born. Richard Cottrell I have to look thru 30,000 items of junk to find the period pieces it's not that easy but the hunt is fun, also remember I was very late to the sale so many wonderful pieces could have walked out without me seeing them. I love Antique portrait glass and period portraits on anything old. Thanks akissfromthepast. Thanks for the birthday washes Bohemian are we both Leo's? Hels I'm so in love with this piece as I can see it and enjoy it on the alter next to my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, I read and study every one of your posts and have learned so much from you about art and French antiques. I want to save up a pile of money and go shopping with you one day! ( PS: I posted some more pictures of my mint julep cabinet for you to study so that when you see one down there you will recognize it for what it is and BUY IT! Your friend Marshel at Bamaplanter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. เหตุลที่คุณควรที่จะเลือกเล่นเกมสล็อต pussy888
    เกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ในปัจจุบันมีหลายแบบเกมให้ผู้เล่นได้เลือกเข้าไปสัมผัสความเพลิดเพลิน ความระทึกใจ และก็เป็นการเพิ่มจังหวะที่ผู้เล่นจะได้รับสำหรับในการทำเงินเพิ่มมากขึ้น ซึ่งช่องทางหรือวิถีทางสำหรับการทำเงินวิถีทางนี้ ผู้เล่นเกมต้องมีการตระเตรียม เตรียมพร้อมสำหรับเพื่อการเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ให้ดี เพราะว่ามิเช่นนั้น ก็อาจส่งผลให้ผู้เล่นมีปัญหาจากเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่คุณพึงพอใจจะเล่นก็ได้ ตกลงว่าถ้าคุณพอใจที่จะเข้ามาร่วมบันเทิงใจ เข้ามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลนื วันนี้พวกเรามีอีกหนึ่งเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์มาเสนอแนะให้ท่านด้ทดลองเข้าไปเล่น เข้าไปสัมผัสความสนุกสนาน มันก็คือ การเล่นเกมสล็อต pussy888 ซึ่งเป็นเกมคาสิโนที่กำลังเดินทางมาแรง และก็เป็นที่นิยมมหาศาลในขณะนี้ ทดลองตามพวกเราไปดูกันว่า ถ้าลุกฯพอใจที่จะเข้ามาสมัครเล่นเกมค้างสิโออนไลน์นี้กันแล้ว มีเหตุมีผลอะไรที่คุณน่าจะเข้าไปเล่นเกมสล็อตpussy888 นี้กันบ้าง
    3 เหตุผลที่คุณจำเป็นต้องเลือกเล่นเกมสล็อตpussy888
    เนื่องจากว่าเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ เป็นเกมที่ได้รับความพอใจเป็นอย่งมากกับคนที่อยากหนทางสำหรับการเพิ่มช่องทางสำหรับในการทำเงินให้กับตัวของผู้เล่นเอง โดยเหตุผลที่ผู้เล่นควรเลือกเล่นเกมสล็อต pussy888 ซึ่งก็คือ
    • สล็อต pussy888 เป็นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่เล่นง่าย ที่เพียงแต่ผู้เล่นเรียนรู้ในขั้นตอนการเล่น วิธีการเล่นเกมเพิ่มเติมอีกเพียงนิดหน่อย ก็สามารถทำเงินจากเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์นี้ได้แล้ว โดยในวันนี้แม้คุณปรารถนาที่จะเข้ามาสมัครเล่นกมสล็อตpussy888 สามารถเมาสมัคร หรือศึกษาเคล็ดวิธีเสริมเติมพิเศษต่างๆถึงที่กะไว้เว็บไซต์ของพวกเราตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง
    • เป็นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่ผู้เล่นสามารถทำเงินได้ง่าย และก็เร็วมาก ด้วยเหตุว่าด้วยเกมเป็นเกมที่เล่นง่าย การเล่นแต่ละครั้ง เกมจบเร็ว ทำให้ผู้เล่นสามารถทำเงิน รวมทั้งสร้างความสนุกสนานสำหรับการเล่นเกมได้ง่ายนั้นเอง
    • ผู้เล่นสามารถชำระเงินพนันได้เองตามอยาก ซึ่งนำมาซึ่งการทำให้ผู้เล่นสามารถควบคุมวงเงินที่จะเอามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ของตนเองได้อย่างดีเยี่ยม
    พูดได้ว่า ผู้เล่นเกมจะไม่มีผิดหวังเมื่อเลือกสมัครหรือเลือกเล่นเกมคาสิโนสล็อต pussy888 เพราะเหตุว่าด้วยแบบเกม การเข้าถึง การสมัคร วิธีพิเศษต่างๆที่สามารถช่วยเพิ่มช่องทางสำหรับในการทำเงินให้กับผู้เล่น เป็นตัวรับรองได้แล้วว่า เกมคาสิโนสล็อตpussy888 เป็นเกมคาสิโนที่เหมาะสมกับทุกคนไม่ว่าใครที่เลือก หรือจำเป็นต้องกทรเข้ามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์นี้กับพวกเรา คุณจะได้รับประสบการณ์ที่ดี ที่จะทำให้ท่านยอดเยี่ยมในผู้เล่นที่บรรลุเป้าหมาย จากการเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ได้มากเพิ่มขึ้น
    918kiss

    ReplyDelete
  9. สล็อต Бу эшчәнлек һәм клиентларга хезмәт күрсәтү өчен искиткеч сайт.

    ReplyDelete